Friday, March 21, 2008

I'm a big weaner

I've managed to wean from 60mg of hydrocortisone to 5mg in less than 7 days! Yay! Yippee. Actually I think I could have skipped the 5mg today, but I took it just for the hell of it. One tiny ping in my adrenals and I dropped 5mg, you know, just in case.

Ok, honestly? That isn't good news in the Cushing's world. My body shouldn't be able to compensate for that rapid of a drop in steroids in such a short time. I suppose it means that the source of my Cushing's is finding a way to come back to life. *fingers in ears* LA LA LA LA LA

I saw my primary doctor's assistant today to see if they could order a radiological test to find the source of my leaky brain. They were pretty stumped. I don't want to bug them, but they haven't called me yet. They said they would. I'm afraid he'll drop me as a patient if I keep 'coming down' with questions and problems that they can't deal with. I really like him and his staff; I try to send them goodies for the office whenever they help me through situations like the one I am dealing with. He must really like people with strep or UTIs after my visits. ;)

I made an appointment with an ENT surgeon for Monday, just to cover my bases. Once again, I hope I don't scare the bejeezus out of him and have him send me packing. It was already suggested that I go back to Houston for the leak repair. No. Freaking. Way. is my non-verbalized response.

I know a neurosurgeon in Los Angeles, but I don't think a neurosurgeon is needed for this - more an ENT problem. I think. I don't know. Which brings me to my most recent thought: wouldn't it be nice to just have NORMAL PROBLEMS? How about that osteoarthritis I have in all of my left-side joints. Couldn't that be my only cross to bear? Wouldn't that be nice?!? I try not to talk about my medical issues out loud to normal people any more. I scare them. *ducking*

2 comments:

"Spite" said...

I totally understand. :(

Dreaming again said...

OH HOLY CRAP! 60 to 5!?!?!?!

I've got Myasthenia Gravis and Lupus. Prednisone is my best friend ..supposedly. Actually it's my worst enemy ...depending on the day and the dose.

I'm just stunned.

I think of myself as 'ok' ..'fine' ... 'dandy' ...

and then ... a friend with MG dies.
or a friend with lupus goes into kidney failure

or something along those lines ...
and I realize

oh it's real.

Or, like for the last 10 days that I've spent trying to recover from a 'simple' UTI ...that simply won't go away, that if I were healthy and not on drugs that kill off my immune system ... would be gone by now ... I'd have long since forgotten about it ..but I'm still wiped out. and now wondering ...gee ... kidneys are hurting. I've got lupus ... am I fighting a UTI or am I turning a corner I don't want to turn ... no, don't think like that!

No! I'm fine ... I'm dandy ... let's go pick dandilions and life life like normal people who don't take dreaded drugs like prednisone ...

I love your blog .. ... i found you through grand rounds ...

my name is Pk by the way.